Monday, February 13, 2012

My thoughts on The Searchers

I thought that the movie was extremely interesting. Everything in it seemed well thought out. The characters were very typical like the Indians and cowboys. They did everything that you hear about. They fought against each other and tried to protect what belonged to them and their families.
I also thought that it was very interesting how months and years could pass in between scenes. It sort of made me wonder why they skipped so long in between, and what the purpose of doing that was. The ending for me was very surprising. I didn't think that Ethan and Martin Pauly were going to find Chief Scar and Debbie to bring her back to the community. It was pretty funny when Martin Pauly thought he was trading hats and items for a blanket from Indians but really got himself a wife. I also didn't expect Martin Pauly to get into a fight over Laurie on her wedding day. The one thing about that didn't surprise me about it was that Martin won and got to have Laurie.
Overall it thought this movie was very interesting and it wasn't a movie that could lose your attention easily. There was always something going on and some type of action that kept everything flowing together. I would definitely watch this movie again someday just to understand the concepts better and because I really enjoyed it.

3 comments:

  1. I think one of the biggest flaws in the movie is the passing of time. Debbie seems to go from 5 to 19 in 5 minutes, and the passing of time isn't clear.
    Did you see any connections to the readings or the course content?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wasn't suprised when Martin got into a fight on Laurie's wedding day because it enhanced the idea of the Cowboy stereotype-image and fighting for what you want. I agree that it was confusing to follow the movie's timeline because of how in just a few minutes you could be a couple of years from the last scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the movie at times was hard to follow because of how it jumped from days to years. I was also suprised that they did find Debbie and was able to bring her back to the community, because of the first time they found her she didn't want to go back with them. But, I did like that there was never really a dull moment, it kept you drawn in, and there was always something going on to keep your attention.

    ReplyDelete