Thursday, March 15, 2012

a different perspective


This movie was a very different take on the relationship between Anglos and Indians. It took the perspective that white people don’t really know who Indians are. It makes fun of the fact that the well-educated business men and women still think of Indians as a primitive group of hunters rather than just a group of people. There is also an interesting relationship between the givers and the receivers. It shows that white people feel the need to give to Indians even though the reasons for giving are sometimes illegitimate.
                Even though the movie was aimed at an Indian audience I found it funny, and I think that the biggest difference between this movie and all the others we have seen. It made fun of stereotypes and misconceptions in society which I enjoyed. I do feel like I probably missed out on some of the humor because I have not been part of the misconceptions or stereotypes and I do not fully understand them. Today the ‘Family Guy’ type humor would have gone over better than it did when it was released because today it is more socially acceptable to make humor out of a bad scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment