Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Medicine River

I believe that this film was in fact made for more of a Native American audience.  There are many references that I did not understand instantly while watching the film.  But a Native American might get at the moment.  To get the full effect I feel you have to understand the jokes and references immediately to truly get the movie.  Showing the Natives in their everyday lives is more relatable to a Native American audience, but the general audience is able to understand it as well.  Therefore, I think it is made for all but the Native American audience would enjoy it a little more.
                Another part of this film that stood out to me was its portrayal of Native American women, especially Louise.  She is used to represent other women of this decent.  I perceived her as being a very independent woman, especially with her pregnancy, and wanting to raise her daughter fully on her own.  It is true she definitely had feelings for Will, but in the end she firmly stands by her original wish to be a single mother.  She does not need a man to help her take of her child, especially the one who got her pregnant. She takes a stand and does what she wants.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this film was directed at a Native American audience because some of the jokes took some time to comprehend.
    I also agree that Louise was portrayed as a very independent woman by wanting to raise her child on her own whether or not someone stepped up and offered to help.

    ReplyDelete